Gift Card Requests

Step-by-Step Instructions

Should you need to purchase gift cards or cash equivalents (metro cards, etc.), you must request permission to make the purchase via a Gift Card Order Form in iBuy+ under the Requests tab. See screenshot tutorial here.

  1. Requests for Gift Cards or cash equivalents should be completed by the individual from the school or division requesting the cards. 
  2. Once the request is submitted, your Finance Director will receive a notification to approve the purchase of Gift Cards. 
  3. If the Gift Cards will ultimately be charged to a research PTA, the completed Gift Card form will automatically be routed to Procurement for approval.
  4. If the purchase is greater than $3,500 for the entire funding period under a federal contract or $10,000 for a federal grant, OR $25,000 for non-federal or university funds, please also include a justification for the purchase (via J&A* form for federal contracts or SSM* for all other types of funding) indicating how the Gift Card provider was selected.
  5. Once the required approval has been obtained, the Gift Cards may be purchased.
  6. Approval is required prior to purchasing the Gift Cards. 

The procurement justification form should be attached within the Gift Card Order Request in Concur. Once the purchase has been made, attach the approved pdf copy of the Gift card Order Form to your Expense Report (for P-Cards) or Purchase Requisition (for purchases made by PO).

To promote timely submission of P-Card expense reports that include gift cards purchased for human subjects research, you may assign the purchase amount of the gift cards to your R or C fund, and then transfer the charge(s) to the PTA through a DCF once the cards are disbursed.

Payments to Subjects expenses must not be posted to the applicable award until actual payment to the subject has been made. PIs need to estimate the amount of funds required for each 60-day window with the understanding that reconciliation is completed and moved onto the sponsored project within 90 days.

Keep in mind that the IRS requires 1099 reporting for any recipient receiving $600 or more from all GW sources. If employees or students are potential recipients of the cards, your Financial Director will provide the requestor with the additional reporting requirements for Payroll and/or University Payables. Finance Directors have responsibility for verifying that the requestor provided the information to Payroll or University Payables on a timely basis.

It is the responsibility of the school/division to ensure the proper storage & distribution of the Gift Cards. A log of all Gift Card recipients must be maintained and made available upon request. 


*See Procurement Forms > Other > Justification & Approval Form for sponsored research under federal contracts, and See Procurement Forms > Other > Supplier Selection Memo for federal grants and non-federal sponsored research.